As the cold weather approaches, I like to prepare myself by organising and decluttering my wardrobe and beauty stash, making things more accessible for the upcoming months. Not only does this highlight which products I have used up and are worthy of a repurchase, but it also gives me the opportunity to throw anything away that I don't need anymore, making room for some new additions. Here are my top tips on being productive when decluttering.
- Empty everything out and give each product a quick clean before sorting into separate piles. My process is usually to create a 'keep' pile which includes the products that are well loved and still within their sell by dates, a 'bin' pile for those products that are out of date or haven't been used and a 'maybe' pile which I'll usually go back to later on.
- Be brutal. If you're indecisive on whether you want to keep a something, the likelihood is that you really don't need it. There's a fine line between keeping something that you're actually going to use or whether you're just holding on to it for the sake of it.
- Have a functional storage system. Most of my beauty products are kept in my IKEA Malm dressing table and split into categories with drawer dividers and inserts. You can buy these cheap on Muji and Amazon.
- Bring to the front any products that you know you'll be reaching for on an every day basis, as well as the ones that need to be used up before going out of date. Again, the Muji acrylic drawers and lipstick holders are perfect for storing the products that you need to access quickly.
- Throw away anything that has gone out of date. Every product will have its own shelf life, so make sure to keep a record on when it was first opened. Look out for the labels on the bottom of your product (6M, 12M etc). It's amazing how many people aren't actually aware of this.
What are your tips on decluttering your beauty stash?