DECEMBER is finally here and if you're anything like me you'll know that Christmas day is in 23 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes and 18 seconds to be exact. Or at least as I'm writing this post. This means that it's now totally acceptable to start getting the decorations down from the loft and turning your house into Santa's grotto, right? This year, I somehow seem to be more excited than usual which is why I thought I'd share with you some of my own personal favourite reasons to love the Christmas period. After all, 'tis the season to be jolly' and all that.
1. The Christmas food section in Marks & Spencer. Turkey, bacon and cranberry sandwiches, pigs in blankets, salmon and cream cheese swirls, mince pies, biscuit selection boxes... You get the idea.
2. The countdown. Whether you're 5 years old and counting down the sleeps until Santa visits or 22 years old and counting down the days until you can tuck into a huge roast dinner with all the trimmings, the excitement is like no other.
3. Fluffy socks and reindeer/penguin themed pyjamas. Every single year, I just have to pop into Primark and purchase some new pyjamas for the colder evenings. There is no better feeling than getting home from a long day at work and changing into something snuggly.
4. Gingerbread lattes, white hot chocolates, spiced orange mochas, salted caramel lattes. YES Starbucks & Costa.
5. Ditching the clubbing and instead, spending every weekend from October-January staying indoors, snuggled up in your pyjamas watching Christmas films on the sofa all night with a tin of quality streets by your side.
6. Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. If you know, you know.
7. Watching the same Christmas films every single year without fail and knowing you could never, ever get bored. Some of my favourites include - The Holiday, ELF, Polar Express, the Grinch and Frozen, of course. Let the marathons begin.
8. Chocolate orange Baileys. If you haven't tried it yet, I actually feel sorry for you.
9. Winter candle scents. Yankee candles are my absolute favourite around this time of year. Gingerbread, fireside treats, candy cane lane, winter wonderland, sparkling snow, white chocolate bunnies, merry marshmallow.. The list could go on forever.
10. Cheesy Christmas songs. They somehow have the ability to put me in a good mood, even in those early, freezing cold mornings when my car needs to be de-iced and heating turned up full blast before turning into a human snowman. Not the one.
11. Choosing an even tackier jumper to wear on Christmas day than last year.
12. Decorating every room in the house with fairy lights... AND spending an evening decorating the Christmas tree.
13. Christmas shopping. Whilst some would call it an absolute nightmare, I am the complete opposite. What's not to love about walking through a beautifully lit up and decorated high street/shopping centre whilst spending money? Even if it's not on yourself.
14. Dedicating a whole evening to wrapping presents. Christmas films on in the background, a few glasses of mulled wine/baileys with an array of candles & fairy lights next to me... I can't wait to start mine. Although I must admit, I'm absolutely awful at wrapping.
15. Painting your nails with the sparkliest, most glittery ESSIE polish that you can find.
16. London at Christmas. Oxford Street & Covent Garden know exactly how to do it.
17. The family all together in one room. As you get older, it becomes one of the most important parts of the day. Everyone being together around a huge table of amazing food, exchanging presents and playing games... Could anything be better?
18. Giving presents. As much as I love receiving them, I just get so much more excited about watching other people open the presents that I've chosen specifically for them. Seeing their faces and knowing you've done a good job is such a rewarding feeling :)
19. LUSH kill it every year with their winter bath collection. Snow fairy, peeping santa, yog nog, christingle, cinders, magic wand, candy mountain... I could bore you all day but it would probably be a better idea for you to visit the website for yourself.
20. HOLIDAYS ARE COMING, HOLIDAYS ARE COMING! Nothing beats the coca cola advert. Although John Lewis and Sainsbury's hold a very close competition.
What are your reasons to love the festive season? Are you as excited for Christmas as I am this year?